Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Tongue is as Dangerous as any Fire

"Today is Monday. That means that I mustn't interrupt anyone today and I must try not to finish anyone's sentence. I should explain. Some time ago, a friend gave me a series of drills in order to help me become a better communicator. Each day I have something to work on. For example:
Tuesday: Don't use more words than are necessary. Try to speak succinctly.
Wednesday: Avoid all lecturing and pontificating. Don't tell anyone what to do or how to do it.
Thursday: Don't be argumentative today, contradicting and correcting others.
Friday: Avoid being "over-definite" in how you state your opinion.
It's usually around lunchtime that I remember the drill and realize to my shame that I have once again failed miserably. Then I recall James's words, "The tongue is as dangerous as any fire..." and understand why Isaiah described himself (prophet of God that he was) as a man of unclean lips. How often do we find our areas of strength becoming the occasion of weakness! That's why I'm grateful for the nine members of our pastoral team to sit with me around the table this morning--we need each other to keep us in line."

By Alistair Begg, Truth for Life Personal Notes/ December 2008

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post just made me realize that I give very little thought to the words that come out of my mouth. I usually just speak.
May God continue to transform our mouths into tools for His glory.